Friday, July 6, 2007

It Drives Me

Writing has always been a secret passion of mine. My English teacher encouraged me back in October to start sharing my writings in some way. Although she repeatedly asked me, I never listened. My thoughts somehow changed, and I’ve given in. As I was thinking about what to write, I remembered my teacher telling me to write what’s in my heart. Bear with me as I begin writing in a new way.

Last week I had the amazing privilege to go to Phoenix, Arizona with my youth group. Everyday I got to perform tasks doing what truly drives me. I got up, got ready, and went down stairs each morning to a room of wonderful people who were incredibly thankful for each task our group had performed. It made my day start off in an incredibly uplifting way.

In the mornings, I was privileged to be apart of amazing group of people who were responsible for painting the church sanctuary. It was a daunting task. If you talk to most people I know, they will tell you that I get joy out of doing anything for people. Even though I was scrubbing the baseboards (a job no one wanted), I had an amazing time. I was serving people, and that’s what I love to do.

In the afternoons, I was a leader for 5th and 6th graders at the day camp. They were so much fun and I remembered how much drama goes on when you are 11 years old. What really made me happy was a 7 year old boy named Nathan. I really got to know him when he stabbed me in the stomach with a balloon sword. We played swords for nearly an hour that day, or so it seemed. Nathan reminded me that I love kids so much because no matter how hard I try to grow up, I’m really an enormous kid at heart.

No matter how tired or hot I was each day, I tried to go on because I knew my emotional high of serving each day, would soon be at an end. Helping people in any kind of way is what drives me, it’s my passion; it’s what I live for.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Kelli,
What a great first start! I'm excited for you to join the blogging world. I think the two of us are similar in our desire to serve - in that whole "I'll give you the shirt off my back even if it means that I have to run around naked with my boobies hanging out" kinda way.
I love you!