Thursday, August 23, 2007

Harder Than I Thought

I’ll be the first to admit we’ve had very rough spots in our relationship. She’s made me so mad and knows exactly how frustrate me, yet she knows what will bring a smile to my face or a smart aleck comment out of my mouth. Lately there have been less silly arguments and more of a genuine fondness towards each other. I didn’t believe any of you when you told me that a day would come when I wouldn’t want her to move out so bad, and I would want her to stay and make forts in the living room again. I wish I had gotten over how mad I was and had listened.

Today she left. She’s on to a new college, in a new town, with new friends. I saw her life packed away in our living room and knew I had to go and that I needed to say goodbye. Ok, well I suck at goodbyes (who doesn’t?). I stared at her not knowing what to do. I quickly found my arms wrapped around her not wanting to let go. I didn’t think of any of our horrible moments together, just the good ones. For a second it didn’t matter how angry she’d once made me, it mattered that I told her I loved her. We looked at each other, with our teary eyes and knew it was time for me to leave. I shut the front door and tears raced down my cheeks.

No matter how many times she tells me she’s not, I know she’s nervous and a little scared. I want people to see the amazing qualities she has, and not any of her flaws. I love my big sister, and I wish I had realized it sooner.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

It's amazing just how much family means when they aren't around to pick on us!